I would be interested in reading an interview series of local fishing/hunting guides

Thursday, May 12, 2016

To Dad

I would like to dedicate this post to all the fathers that take their children fishing or attend all those baseball games or .... whatever you do to spend time with your sons and daughters to teach and bond with them, this IS not about fishing, this is about being DAD.

For as long as I can remember whenever my dad went fishing I was going with him. Unless he was going with a friend and there was only minimal space I was right next to my father on the bank or in the boat. at times we would joke and carry on other times he would yell or get frustrated because I was not listening or paying attention. I annoyed him, I frustrated him but we built memories and lessons together.

At age 10 I told my mother I didn't like fishing with dad, this was for 2 reasons; 1. he got quite upset when I would make mistakes. He had a short temper. but most of all 2. I got bored really fast with throwing my line out and doing nothing (I had/have ADHD, but this was before they had heard of such a thing). I was definitely a handful and then some.
Now for those of you who are bleeding hearts, you can relax my father never beat me black and blue or locked me in ... anything. He was not abusive he just had a short fuse and apparently I was the human torch :).

Please let me take a minute for those who were abused, I am truly sorry that happened to you and I hope you realize that it was not your fault. That person has/had issues of their own that they chose to take out on you. This post is not meant to make light of that behavior. It is wrong, It is discusting and you have the opportunity to teach your children a different path.

Ok so the next time I am out with my dad he sits me down and says "listen I understand you don't like going fishing with me anymore, is that true?" so I explained that I just didn't like sitting doing nothing and trying to be quiet (because making noise scares the fish off). So he kinda smiled and said "ok, I'm gonna teach you something new today". I cannot give exact details of how that day went (it was, after all, over 30 years ago) but he taught me how to bass fish and it changed my view of fishing. Of course we always have/had lines out for catfish but I enjoy the constant moving of bass fishing (and Crappie fishing isn't that much off).

Over the years I have caught as many tree limbs as fish, broken my line and had to have dad fix it, run a fishes fin threw one finger and into the next. Although he may not have been the most patient about it, he was there and now we laugh about it as I am bringing up my own little crew of children.

I have 6 children and a grandbaby and I love each and everyone with every bit of my heart. I get impatient with them, I have been know to yell (ok a lot) but we all have fun and laugh and have great times with each other and together. I have laughed with them and cried with them and they are all my favorite (it just depends on who's asking the question).
My very favorite thing about my father now is that he and my oldest son are best friends (and my youngest son is right behind him). They hang out (even when I am not there), work on cars, fish and talk to each other.

My dads strength is not what it use to be and it makes it difficult for him to get in and out of the boat (and a few other things) and I tend to get very frustrated about the time it takes him to do things. This weekend while we were out on the lake I got frustrate and made a comment about getting out of the boat and he said something to me about feeling useless. Now I would not share this with you all (as that seems a very raw and sensitive thing to say, especially to your son) but the comment really hit me hard. I have never really seen my dad as useless, I have never felt that way toward him so it never occurred to me that he might feel this way. I will not go into the details of what he and I spoke about on the way home. Dad (mine and yours and you) you are not and never will be worthless, you spent your earlier years teaching me and now I can pass that on to my children. because of you I can exercise discipline over myself, because of you I can put food on my table when times are tough and even when they aren't, because of you I know who I am I know who Jesus is and I know why that makes a difference, because of you ... I CAN....

- Grandpas please relax and let your offspring do for you, you did plenty for us when we couldn't now it's our time to give back.
- Fathers respect and honor your dads one dad you will be in his shoes. be patient as he once had to be with you. If you don't have that to look back on then give it to your sons' and daughters be patient with them teach them in love and gentleness do not be their friends be their fathers (you will have time to friends later).
- Grandsons pay attention to what both of these men are trying to show you. One day you will not have the opportunity to ask anymore questions but you will need to pass these on to your children. and for pete's sake watch what's going on around you!!

Thank you for reading, cast a big net and keep tight lines.
Until next week.

***On a completely different note:

I am considering doing a series called "Guides of Truman Lake" wherein I will go out with guides from the Truman lake area and basically interview them. The idea is to increase exposure to those men and woman that make their living off the waters many of us take for granted. If you believe you would be interested in such a series please comment below. This may turn into "Guides of Missouri" if I do a series on the guides for Smithville Lake and such.

This weekend Cody Vannatten of Cody bait and tackle (and a guide on the Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake) had a fund raiser for a friend (I do not believe I am liberty to give details so I will let him explain if he so chooses). They offered baked good and some AMAZING BBQ for donations. Below are a few pictures and I believe they are still taking donations if you can help.





1 comment:

  1. We always enjoy ourselves wheather we catch anything or not.

    Sons must realize that as you get older you can't do the things you once did with ease. Strength is part of it remembering some things is also a part. Another part is not being able to see sometimes well enough to tie a knot in the fishing line.

    In the end we always know we are loved and cared about and that's what is important!!


    ReplyDelete